Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Monday, June 18, 2012

Mini bike tour Yelm-Olympia

Touring light?

Looks like so much gear! Well, we had to be prepared for the rain that was forecasted, and actually falling as we pulled out of my driveway. We fretted about that rain during our two hour drive to Yelm as we passed through several "squalls". BUT -- not only did we not have a drop of rain, the sun shone on us for most of the day. High, fluffy white clouds kept getting more distant and made room for all that blue!

I had to adjust my bike and gear as the pannier put onto the rear rack interfered with the shift box and my gearing was off. With Vickie's help and my experience with working with my friend Jim(ali), we finally got it working and I moved the panniers to the front rack. That set up worked really well. Thank you Jim, for all the teaching and tutoring you have given me that helped me to not panic when something went wrong!

With permission from Yelm City Hall, we parked in their photo secured lot for the two nights we will be gone, and after a subway lunch we were geared up and on the "Yelm to Tenino Trail".

This trail connects with the "Chehalis Western Trail" that would take us to Lacey where we had reservations at the Super 8 Motel for two nights.

 

We did a short stop at Monarch Sculpture Park for a look at some of the "odd" art work there. It is different.

When we neared Lacey we scouted out a Starbucks and lazed in the sun(!) at the outdoor table with coffee/tea and a snack. We took what the cycling map noted as "local cyclist back route" to College Ave. where our motel is located. We discovered that "College Avenue" is named such because it goes by St. Martins Univeresity/Abby/Benedictine Community. It was a delightful traffic free, tree lined road and wound its way onto and through the campus. I did not take time for a photo as we were engrossed in determining if we were on the correct road, and I hope to get back there tomorrow for at least one photo.

 

1 comment:

  1. What a great trip already Nancy. Your photos are great as usual and I am looking forward to the rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete