Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Monday, September 29, 2014

My Cyber rides this Fall

Monday, September 15, 2014

I have a few friends who live in other states, and we have formed a small "cyber bike club". We try to do a little report of some of our rides "together" and it helps educate each other about where we live. I have thought I might include some of my reports in my blog -- hence, here is one.

I have actually done several cyber club rides, and am way behind in reporting about them. This is my most recent one -- I did it yesterday, and you were my motivation to do it. I drove myself to a trailhead of a trail I have done many many times, but today would be a little different.I pushed myself out the door for this solo ride. As the farmer says, I have to make hay while the sun shines, and I know our gorgeous weather will not last much longer. I rode this trail with a small group a couple of weeks ago, and one of the members took us on a spur trail that led to a new part of the trail into the town of Redmond. It was a nice variation of simply riding the trail even though it was only about 2-3 miles to get to our lunch stop and re-enter the trail. An added attraction was that we did not have to backtrack to the trail but could continue on the new part to reconnect at a different point of the trail. This in essence made more of a "loop" than an out and back ride. We of course would retrace much of the trail, but the loop was nice. I am leading the senior center bike group on this trail at the end of October, and wanted to retrace the new route to ensure I knew where to go. Good thing too, as I took a couple of incorrect turns! Found my way though, and now I feel confident to lead.The trail is named Sammamish River Trail and glides next to the, well, Sammamish River. It seems more a slough than a river, but offers a nice backdrop to ride along. Canada Geese seem to have found a cooling off spot in the 85 degree day!

As I rode along that new trail in town, I came to this sculpture -- if that is what it is called -- and have no idea what it is made of or meant to be. I walked all the way around it to see if I could find a plaque or sign explaining it, but there was nothing there.

The parts looked almost like hinges, but not quite. This is a rail trail, so I am wondering if it has something to do with rail or train parts. I don't know.

(My friend John, an avid railroad fan writes this to me: Hi Nancy –Those items on the railtrail are tie plates. They would go under the rail and above the wooden tie, and the four holes are for spikes to attach the rail to the tie. It makes sense to spread the many tons of weight over slightly more area than would be the case if the rail sat directly on the tie. - John)

I knew John would know what these are, and thank him for letting us know ;'-).

Here is a view of the trail as I am heading back after my tea stop (photos will be in the next email). It was a gorgeous, clear, sunny day. We have had a lot of these days this summer and early fall and try to drink up every ounce of them to last us through the rain season!

Midway in the ride I had my tea and crumpet stop. Here is my "poor man's" lock. I did not have a lock with me, and would be within eye distance of my bike so I used the helmet trick. I only use it in a secure place and mostly when I can see it. If someone wanted to ride off with my bike, I would not be able to catch them by running out of the shop. This way they would be stopped, or at least slowed down and I would see them before they could take off. Helmet strap is wrapped through spokes and front fork, as well as my front rack since it is there.

Peet's is one of many favored coffee places around and their tea is pretty good too. I had my tea and bagel with cream cheese as my lunch, and bought a biscotti for later! Gotta have my "crumpet".

 

It was a fine day of riding and I found I really enjoyed doing it on my own. I did the pace I wanted to do (slow) with no need to feel I had to "keep up" with faster riders, I could take as long as I wanted at my tea stop, and I could stop and take photos anytime. I may have done the ride on my own, but I was not alone, as I had you, my cyber bike riding friends, all right there with me.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment