Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Moab walking and biking 10/21/2012

Our group would not meet until the afternoon, so I filled the late morning with a walk around town. Moab is not a cute or quaint or pretty town. It is basically a town on a highway (Rte. 191) known as Main Street, lined with shops, motels and restaurants. It is not situated where there is a view of anything, which is surprising when you have entered the outskirts taken aback by all the beauty of the red cliffs as sculptured monuments.

There isn't even a small, cozy coffee/tea place where I would have spent time over the past couple of days. So I wandered the side streets through some neighborhoods which had nothing redeeming either. I came upon a trail that wound around under a bridge over Main Street so took that for a while. The trail was alongside a creek.

Trail winds under Main Street
 

A bridge and small waterfall on the trail
I liked the name of this campground
Campground was for tents and you had to park at the entrance and haul your gear
Soon after my return, people started to arrive at the motel and we were given our first daily sheet of instructions. We gathered up our provided bikes from the trailer, had them fitted to us (I had my own pedals and saddle put on) and were given directions to follow the ten mile out and back chalk-marked route to try out our bike fit. We all did the route and I wanted to do it again. We had just enough time before our orientation meeting for me to get that extra ride in, and Linda agreed to go at least part way with me.

Dan (broken foot) put finishing touches on my bike
 

Brent made sure that Gary did the job just right
 

Passed by this Adobe Abode on the route
A very narrow structure built into the side of the mountain
 

Some petroglyphs
 

The only fall color here is golden yellow
Moab Brewery was our dinner spot for this evening. Good and plenty food. There are ten of us for this tour. You already know three of us, I will introduce others as I get to know them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment