Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Friday, March 1, 2013

Signals, not switches...

Friday, 3/1/13

Shows how much I know about the operations of trains. I learned from David, one of yesterday's lunch companions, that we were stopped by signal (not switch) problems. He said that this happened to him last year in the exact same place. Something about these signals needing to be operated by hand, meaning someone has to get off the train to do it. Not as it should be, and wondering why this has not been repaired. Oh well, we continue (somehow) to make up lost time and are not too far behind schedule.

it is hard to get a photo of a room that is about 6 feet by 3 feet, but I tried to get a picture of my bed (kneeling on the other end of the bed). Two people in this roomette would be a little crowded, but people do it. You would have to take shifts for dressing for bed!

This time I slept in the lower bunk

I chose to sleep in the lower bunk to experience that bed, to see which bunk is more comfortable, and to be gentle with my sciatica by not climbing up top. I think I prefer this lower bunk but am not really sure. The upper bunk is very close to the ceiling so there is a little bit of a claustrophobic feel. Both bunks seem quite narrow -- well, they are quite narrow -- for a mover arounder like me. I slept OK and was of course awake before just about anyone else.

Tried to get a shot of the sunrise ...

This is the best I could do for a sunrise shot.

Brief walks along the train at Oakland (misty and cloudy) and San Jose (blue sky and sun!) would have to do for exercise for the morning as we are still running about 40 minutes behind schedule.

i needed to show that there is actually sunshine so took a couple of shadow views.

Shadows in San Jose
A contrast between sunny station in San Jose and wet station in Mulkiteo

This long train trip seems to go by fairly quickly for me and here we are in San Jose already.

No comments:

Post a Comment