Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Monday, March 7, 2016

Errandonnee 2016: 4; 5; 6; 7

Lots of rain this morning had me thinking I would not get any of my errands in today. But, again I found that window! Pedaling out of my driveway I had some light sprinkles hitting me, but I soldiered on! I had four errands in mind that are close by and I thought I could get them in before the rain actually rained.

Errand #4 was a "non-store" stop at the Police Department. I had some medications that were way outdated or were not being used any longer that I needed to dispose of.

 

 

When I brought some here a few years ago I Iearned that the Police Department accepts these meds and sends them out somewhere where they get burned. I hadn't know that was how they got destroyed. What I observed today is that our PD now has (apparently) bullet proof glass enclosing the workers much like banks now have. The last time I was there the workers were out in the open.

Errand #5 was my second "non-store" stop at T-Mobile. This had been on my "to do" list for quite a while but has not been a priority. I have not been able to email any photos from my phone to someone else, including myself. Tina took a good amount of time with me and got one to work, but I am not convinced that the problem is resolved and it may be an Apple issue rather than T-Moblie. But I will try it again and see what happens.

 

 

Errand #6 was and actual "store" stop at QFC to pick up a few items we need. I was really thinking I would lock my bike to the bike rack I knew they had there rather than wheel it into the store as I often do in stores. But...

 

Apparently the bike rack is of low priority as I could not get my bike in between the carts and rack to lock it. So ...

 

...I did what I usually do and wheeled my bike into the store and tucked it in an out of the way place fairly near the entry door. I do this in a lot of places and not one person has ever told me not to do that. I wouldn't do it if I was going to be shopping for a long time, but brief stops seem to work fine. I'm out before anyone knows I'm in.

 

I use my "poor man's lock'" and strap my helmet through the spokes and fork. Not what one can consider a secure lock, but is a deterrent if someone tried to wheel it away.

 

Then I shopped.

Errand #7 was my second "personal business" stop (first was the mailbox from the other day).

 

There is a bit of wet pavement here but the rain hadn't rained since after my first stop. YAY! Though I wheel my bike inside here too, there a little vestibule that seems made just for me.

 

My bike sits between two doors. The one we see here exits to the parking lot, the one in front of the bike enters into the bank.

Miles today for errands -- 6.5. I have saved the places that are more miles away for better weather days (I hope)

Observation -- the bullet proof glass at the PD; the low priority bike rack at QFC; riding in the rain is kind of nice when a) it is light and b) it is for a specific thing like an errand rather than being out for a fun time ride. When I worked I commuted by bike several times a week, and often rode in rain. I don't have to do that any more so I don't.

Now that I have 7 completed, I think I have a shot at actually completing the 12 errands for this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment