Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Friday, September 27, 2013

Cedar Breaks National Monument

Friday, 9/27/2013

 

First thing this morning I took a drive along the shorter scenic byway loop from town. It was a beautiful drive and a wonderful way to begin my day.

Cliffs line the drive
That spectacular yellow
Entering deeper into the canyon I noted the frost up there at the top. When I took the photo, little did I know that I would be driving through the frost at 10,500 feet elevation.
Note the frost up there

 

Frost covered trees

 

Frost covered grass

Soon I was near the summit and it was COLD!!! I stopped at the visitor center where one is supposed to purchase the entry ticket, but it was before the opening hour of 9:00. I would not have to pay anything anyway as I have the "Geezer Pass" (Senior National Park Pass). I drove on and stopped at several of the overlooks -- taking little time out there in the freeze.

Colorful rock formations of the natural Amphitheater
From the same overlook
 

I continued the drive and stopped for views from the other side of the amphitheater. This amphitheater is 2,000 feet deep and more that three miles in diameter. Various combinations of iron and manganese give the rocks their different colors. President Franklin D. Roosevelt established Cedar Breaks National Monument in 1933.

The amphitheater is the result of the same geolgic forces that created other Southwestern landscapes including the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce.

It is hard to "cull" the photos becuase I loved them all! I may have put in too many here, but I can't help myself.

It was frosty and cold with some snow on the walkways, and I was glad to be driving out of it into the sunshine. Passing through the ski resort of Brian Head I slowed to avoid hitting some wild life ...

Open range

 

I returned to town and took a walk to the riverfront trail. We will do our short shake down bike ride on the trail tomorrow. Back to the hotel, a rest and another walk around town and the University Campus rounded out my day. Nothing exciting to report about the walks as town has not much exciting nor interesting. I will weed out a few town photos and decide whether to post some tomorrow. Might be too boring.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment