Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Monday, September 30, 2013

A Test Ride

 

Saturday 9/28/2013

 

Let me start out with a list:

Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Leonardo Da Vinci, Marie Curie, William Shakespeare, Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Galileo Galilei, John Stuart Mill, Germaine De Stael, Thomas Jefferson.

Susan wonders who the twelve Great Thinkers are who are honored at SUU memorial. I thought some others may wonder also. After our initial test ride to and along the short trail, I rode to the campus to collect their names.

Any time I have used a bike from an outfitter, and have filled out all their requested information, including my measurements and the measurments of my bike at home, I run into some issues at bike fitting. I think the main thing they see is my age and if they have no "perfect" bike they will give the more perfect one to a younger woman and I get -- an inferior one. I am not laying blame because, how do they know who I am (even though they ask on the form how much riding I do).

My bike this morning was one of those -- smaller wheels, cramped size so that my knees hit the handlebar bag I had brought, very upright, and overall uncomfortable. I was worried, but Dan assured me he could make it better. Dan remembers me from his tour last year at Moab, so he knew his mistake in assigning this bike. Long story shorter -- he traded to a men's frame. Someone had to cancel out of the trip at the last minute and Dan had the bike with him. Ahhhhhh -- what a difference once I rode that one. Thank you Dan!

After our shakedown ride and everyone was happy with the fit of their bike, we had an introduction meeting and went off to a fine dinner. We will begin the actual tour tomorrow.

 

Our leaders prepare the bikes
Along the bike trail on the test ride

 

No comments:

Post a Comment