Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Last Day -- Killer Hill!

Saturday 10/5/2013

Yet another Plan B took us to another part of the Park on State and County roads. Our leaders are working hard for us on this trip. They would have had some time off as they could direct us to be on our own wandering around Zion -- had it been open! Instead they had to scout out options for us and continually follow us as our support.

Today's option -- hmmmmmm. We drove to a spot to unload the bikes, and our leader Dan said we would ride a mere 6 miles up the "hill" to a turn around. Then down the hill and ride all the way back to our hotel. Sounds simple enough. And I guess it was pretty simple. BUT THE HILLS WERE MINI MOUNTAIN PASSES, and there were tons of them. Not everyone made it up and I was determined to keep going until I saw the whites of Dan's eyes. The first time I stopped was to breathe -- and had a hard time at that. The next two stops were to walk up hills. I do not recall the last time I needed to walk a hill -- today I walked two. Even Dan said he was gasping for breath (and he is in fantastic shape) and that these were KILLER HILLS even for him. He hadn't time to ride it prior to taking us on it -- only did it in a car, and we know how that is!

We start out with my bike having a flat tire -- at least it was on the front
Three chose to do a hike -- here is David and Jude -- I think they were the smart ones. (Peter is the other hiker but not in the photo)
Six of us start up this gentle grade as if we know what we are doing

 

I stopped once before the hills really started to try to capture the striations in the rock

After this photo I was becoming very miserable and grumpy! Going through my mind were thoughts like... I don't want to take one more photo; when we get to the top and someone says wasn't it worth it I will say NO; what are these guys thinking of -- we are ELDERS! I made it til I saw Dan who was now on this way down and said no need to go further even though George was up there -- either resting or waiting for an Aid Car, I thought -- I was within a mile but it was ALL THE WAY UP some more, and my legs and lungs could not be forced to go up there. Especially since Dan said -- turn around here.

Coming down was a screamer and Mary, the other of us who got as far as I did, does not like fast downhills so she opted to get into the van for that part. To me, that was the pay off for making it UP there.

Coming down I stopped for a photo

 

I reached the State Road and this is the scenery

Finally back at the hotel I dropped off the bike to be stripped of my gear (saddle & pedals), took my extraneous gear off the bike, and headed directly to the hot tub. Well -- after putting on my swim suit.

The hills directly across from our hotel

Then it was relaxing time, a little (very little) walk around, and preparation for dinner. After breakfast tomorrow we head for Cedar City our departure location. We are done.

These guys -- Dan, Steven, Kirk and Bill -- have been fantastic and have taken exceptional care of each and all of us. I hope to do another trip with them, but their trips are hard! I doubt I will do the Rolling the Rockies trip that has a mountain pass, but will consider Bikes and Brew out of Fort Collins, even if I don't drink. The riding will be good and I love these guys.

This will be the last post for this trip -- it has been a doozie!

 

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for sticking it out. You must have burned a ton of calories going up those mountains. You are a brave girl.
    Thank you for stopping to take some pictures which I am enjoying tremendously.
    I hope you will take a well deserved rest when you get back home.

    ReplyDelete