Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Friday, October 11, 2019

FALL ADVENTURE INETRLUDE: Bike riding

Everyone was happy to be reunited in Elk Grove and stories were shared as we unloaded gear and made our way to comfort at Sarah’s house for the next few days. Having had little to no chance (more like no) to do any bike riding, Susan was more than agreeable for me to have couple of nice long rides while we prepared for the next adventure ;’-). I had two lovely days of riding my bike and this post will mainly be a photo journal of my miles.

I found this arch at the Franklin Train Station rather interesting. Franklin is a neighboring town to Elk Grove. The tree also peaked my interest.





I had forgotten to bring any snacks or other food with me on this ride. As well, I started to be in need of a restroom. I was in very rural country side and had some concern about finding anything along the way when what to my wandering eyes should appear.



I first passed by Husick’s to find the only other place in this village — a convenience store a half a block away, where I could purchase some nuts and a protein bar. A young man was washing the Ice Machine  (I think), and I asked him if it was safe to leave my bike by the fence to go in to make my purchase. He nicely said he would keep an eye on it for me. When I asked him if there was a restroom, he pointed over his shoulder and said “Husick’s”. So I went there and sure enough the friendly female bartender gladly pointed me in the correct direction. It seems perhaps they are familiar with cyclists passing through this area as I did get the ride from RWGPS and had seen evidence of bikers (lost glove, run over water bottle).

My eyes filled with the view of these newly planted things.

(

The following day I rode through miles of grape vineyards. The road in this next photo is the road I came up on and am at the top of an incline to take the photo. Vineyards as far as the eye could possibly see, and impossible to get photos of them all.



How could there be need for so many grapes, I wondered.





A few miles down the road I found out how they are needed at “Wine Corner”.



The rural road had vineyards on one side and either pear orchards or river on the other.





I don’t know what the significance of the chicken is, but I liked that and especially the Bee Crossing. No bees there for me to battle this time.



A couple of trucks passed me and from a distance I wondered what the red fruit was that they were carrying in two big dumpster type trailers attached. I soon found out.




My attempt to bring a couple of the tomatoes home was scratched when all were either smashed or cracked open and would leak in my trunk. There were lots of lost plum tomatoes along the way.

From the corner of my eye I noticed a “few” goats that seemed friendly. 






A few goats turned out to be hundreds! I had never seen so many goats in a ‘herd’. At home I showed the photos to Sarah and Jeremy and he showed me a video he had taken in town. The herd of 200 goats were being led through town to their next area of grazing. These are working goats ;’-). I know it was the same herd I had seen.

I had two good days of adventuresome solo riding and now Susan and I would do a little trip on our own for a couple of days before taking Kate on HER camping adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment