Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Thursday, January 21, 2021

WEEK 3 JANUARY RIDE/PHOTOS #10-15

NOTE: Apparently I have been stuck in 2020 — no worse place to be stuck!!! So now that I realize that, my photos should have the correct year indicated on them ๐Ÿ˜. It is impossible to go back to change the year on previous photos. ๐Ÿคจ


#10 January 15, 2021


My bike was ready for pick up (recall my mechanical breakdown a couple of days ago) so we made a plan. Susan and I would drive to the bike shop and I would ride home, alleviating Susan of having to load up my bike, and allowing me my ride for the day ;’-). Plan worked great ๐Ÿค—. 


I took some back roads through neighborhoods I am familiar with, some of which are part of regular routes I often ride. I veered off to go by this little pocket park. Little being the operative word here. You can see how small, as it is just about totally in the photo.




I added a few miles by riding through the Boeing plant but still the ride was much shorter than yesterday. Much hillier though, so it balances out. Similar weather with some sun breaks and this time some actual threatening clouds. Empty threats for this part of the day as there has been no rain ;’-).


#11 a & b January 16, 2021


Cloudy, damp and chilly today. After a zoom meeting this morning I geared up and rode around a longer route in my neighborhood. Stopped for the photo of this Green House which needs two photos.





Those are plastic pop bottles used for walls. Rather interesting I think, and probably very effective for a Green House.



#12 January 17, 2021


They said it would be sunny and in the mid to upper 40s today. Cindy and I did not see nor feel any of that on our damp and cold morning ride. Didn’t matter though as we did a short meander around the south Everett/Mill Creek area to the Nickel Creek Park to enjoy our tea and snacks. And of course a lot of chit chat ;’-)


I had ridden to Cindy’s house for our ride start, and arrived a little early. I ambled around her house and yard and found my photo for the day —  her front yard remains adorned with a “Christmas” tree.




Candles in the window shine a warm glow onto her front porch.





#13 January 19, 2021


I am NOT going to count the one mile (1 mile) I rode on Monday (yesterday as I write this). I thought it would be a good riding day until I walked out in the early morning and found how cold and damp it was. In the late morning I saw a sun drop and thought I might harness some of that for a neighborhood ride. I got on my bike and chose to ride alone rather than join Susan for the ride back to pick up the car from general maintenance work. A few pedal strokes was all it took for me to know I was not going to ride. I have been riding in cold damp weather for days, this day I just could not find the smiles for a ride. Often I would ride on, hoping it or I would be better and have ended up with a good ride. Not this day. Aborted plan and finished around our mile long block to get back home.


This morning (Tuesday) presented with early morning fog and temp at about 33. Ugh. I am an early rider, and by afternoon I have normally lost all motivation to get on my bike. When there was blue sky, bright sun and temp at 43, I could not resist.  


Not a lot of miles, but plenty of smiles behind my mask for a bimble around the neighborhood and through the Village Center.





#14 January 20, 2021


An aside: CELEBRATE!! NEW PRESIDENT AS OF TODAY. ;’-)


I have not ridden the north end of the Centennial Trail for at least a year, mainly due to the Pandemic and not leaving home. It is about a mere half hour drive to the trailhead that allows a 25 mile round trip bike ride, but still away from home, and not wanting to ride that distance alone that far from home had kept me away. 


Today changed that as Cindy and I met at the trailhead and rode along the trail practically all to ourselves. The day was cloudy and on the cold side of 40, but we expected that and were well bundled against the weather. This part of the trail is a delight as it takes us through a lot more countryside than developed neighborhoods. The destination is always to get to the Nakashima barn at the very north end of the trail. 


Here are a few photos I took around the barn. The website will tell the story of the Japanese family who ran the farm, and for all purposes, were the owners (as Japanese they could not own property then). The family were gathered up  after the Japanese attack and the war began, and put into internment camps.










SEE STORY HERE


There are more photos to take along the trail, but these are the few I took, saving some for another day ;’-).

Big bike little bike.



Owl in a fence. Looks blurry but really is not.


The town of Arlington, a bit south of the barn, has several interesting murals. Here’s one; I am saving more for another day.





A marker on the trail through town. I cannot quite figure out the “10”. There are pole mounted mile markers all along the trail from 1 on the south end to 30 on the north end. The center of Arlington is about 8 miles south of the barn. The best I can do is surmise that this particular marker (there are a few more) is 10 miles south of the barn. I did not notice where these ground markers start or end. I will try to remember to make notice on my next ride here.




 

#15 January 21, 2021


Another cold damp morning. Well, it is January, and they are reporting it the wettest January in 77 years! I was not totally into riding today, but since the rain (and maybe even some snow) is well on its way for next week, I thought I should give it a try today. There was no rain, so I got my warm gear bundled on to me and spent a bit more than an hour meandering around our area, close to home.


Riding through the Village Center, this photo reminds me of a cold winter day in Paris where a writer or artist might be seated plying their craft. 



I was happy to get home after a short ride and enjoy my hot tea and cozy comfort of my couch ;’-)


No comments:

Post a Comment