Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Thursday, March 9, 2023

I’D LOVE TO RIDE SOMEWHERE DIFFERENT…

The theme for my ride 365 life site challenge for MARCH is I’D (for IDES of March, get it?). This is my entry for now.


I am fortunate to have about 5 different routes from home and can adapt and adjust those for a little more variation. I appreciate this but I have ridden, and continue to ride them all and a change is always welcome, and sought after. I got a change this week ;’-).



Susan and I drove up to Rasar State Park which is only about 50 miles north of us in the next county (Skagit) for some overnight camping and some bike riding. On our first day we rode a route that we have done at least 3 other times. We never tire of it because we don’t do it that often, the rural roads have  very low traffic, it is somewhat in the “country”, and it is a flat route that begs for taking your time to enjoy the views, the fresh air, and the countryside.


Starting from the campground we immediately came upon the remnants of snow fall they have had up here.




The route takes us along the Skagit river for a bit and I always love the views.






Part of the route is on unpaved trail which, except for one rocky part, is hard packed enough to not feel treacherous (most unpaved trails feel treacherous to me as I am a wimp). Here I stopped for a photo.




This photo - of the vines and brush swallowing an old vehicle.




I know we have crossed this bridge on the trail each time we have ridden it, but this is the first time I have noticed the bottle cap “design”.





The mountains were out and, though there is no photo of it, we were being chased home by some very dark, rain laden clouds in the near distance. We were fortunately turning away from that direction and did speed up a bit 🙄 to out run the rain. We were successful except for Susan feeling 2 (two) raindrops.




Neither of our two major highlights for the day lent themselves for a photo as they happened too fast and too unexpectedly:

-A small gaggle of four trumpeter swans flew overhead showing their elongated necks and honking their song. A sight I would have loved a photo of, but enjoyed and will remember just the same.


-A workman stopped us on the return trail while they felled a huge tree in front of us. The tall leafless tree fell with an explosive BOOM of limbs cracking and scattering on the ground. An excavator removed the big limbs from the trail to open the path for us. It was quite amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment