Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Thursday, February 23, 2023

New Bike!!!!


I looked back at some past correspondence with Bike Friday and see that I have had this bike for 20 years. It is my second BF as Susan and I both had traded our 4 year old ones for newer models. We are long time Bike Friday owners/riders. About 5 years ago we had these current Bike Fridays converted to Pedal Assist eBikes at the Bike Friday factory in Eugene Oregon (also where we had bought them).


Here she is, my long time friend. I will not be giving her away or anything because — well, you know we all need at least one back up bike. So this is not a true farewell. 




My BF has served me well but I have truly ridden into the ground and I have felt the need and desire to get a new bike. I have had my eyes out for something to pop up that I would like, and that is available in the U.S.  I know that I do not need to justify buying a new bike after 20 years of riding this one, but …I do have some reasons why I have been longing for one. Though I keep taking my bike in for all the maintenance work, and had a pricey overhaul done at Bike Friday, there are things that are not only not perfect, but a real pain, and never seem to get “fixed” right. My gears slip, my gear shift has become very hard to use, there are rattles and shakes that are annoying, my battery sometimes cuts out briefly and with no warning. I know all these things can be tended to and some changed, but THAT is what I have been doing, and there is now new technology that has been developed over these years (disc brakes to name one). Also, being a front wheel drive (motor in the front wheel), my bike is sluggish on the uphills and I know there will be quite a difference with a mid drive (motor at the crank). Time for a new bike I say!


The Tern Vektro S10 makes its appearance. Two of them of course.



All along, while moaning, complaining being very vocal that I NEED a new bike, Susan has not shown an interest of needing (wanting) one herself. THEN we found these folding TERN pedal assist bikes that had EVERYTHING we could wish for — Including an easier fold than the BF. That brought Susan right around and we both ordered new bikes.


OK, so these are rather (very) high priced bikes. At this stage in my life I can get anything I wish, and even Susan agrees that the amount of riding I do “deserves” a new bike. The day will come when I can no longer ride my bike. Today is NOT that day ;’-).


There is no day to compare to a new Bike Day!!!!! We picked them up yesterday evening — while it was snowing — and hoped for our maiden test ride today. We waited out the morning freeze (25 is too cold to ride) and were able to get out together for an early afternoon (in 36 degrees) short spin of the neighborhood. Turns out that not only do we NOT have buyers remorse, but we are in LOVE with our bikes.


These sisters will remain in the stable side by side for use at any chosen time.




Can’t wait for another, longer, ride as soon as weather will alllow. 

5 comments:

  1. How fantastic! I am so excited for you! Now let the good weather come! I know the do-I-really-need-it feeling, been there. But I have never regretted getting a bike that affords so much happiness. Can't wait for your first rides. Btw, Janos got a new bike, too! (not delivered yet) We feel these years are the most valuable, let's not waste them. 🚴‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne. Excited for Janos too! Yep, let’s not waste these years of our lives.

      Delete
  2. I so agree with all of that . Enjoy while you can.
    After 20 years of constant use of the old bike, the new one must feel heavenly .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meta. I knew you would agree!! Now will hope for our weather to improve!

      Delete
  3. Sorry, I did not mean to post that as anonymous
    Meta

    ReplyDelete