Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Thursday, February 16, 2023

PHASE 2 CALIFORNIA AND TO HOME

Jeremy had some days off from work, and having purchased an annual pass for Universal Studios, he took the girls for some fun there for a couple of days. We stayed at Sarah’s those days before driving on south for a visit wth new friends. Before leaving Elk Grove, I did get in one more ride. 

The map and directions said it would be about 37 miles. On flat terrain, that is not at all too much for me on my pedal assist. First through a bit of town, I came to a couple of sculptures of interest on the grounds of the Civic Center.

I have no idea really of what this is representing or depicting, but it is interesting.


I like this one a lot more.



Moving on out into the country side again, I loved being in the orchards and vineyards as I made my way to the halfway point of Walnut Grove. 



Being Valentine’s month, I could not pass up a Heart!



The ride from here became a bit less enjoyable as it took me on at least 10 miles along a busy fast paced road with NO shoulder. The traffic was intermittent and did seem cautious of me, but still when the cars did come, they passed me at high speed. It was bit stressful. Once off that road which seemed endless, I hit some good headwind to battle for the remainder of my 42 (not 37)  mile ride. I was bushed by the time I got home.

On the drive south to visit our friends we stopped for a night of camping and dinner in the seaside town of Capitola.


 The recent storms have taken a big toll on this cute surfing town.


Lots of surfers frequent the town and there is evidence that it is a popular spot for them.





Lawn Alley is lined with rental cottages.



The sandbags show evidence of storm preparation.



The beach is beautiful of course, but there is definitely evidence of storm damage.





It was now time to continue our drive south.

We had met Barb and Penelope at a Pleasure Way (maker of our RV van) camping event in Oregon last year and struck up a friendship. They live in Central California and we drove down to visit with them for a few days. Their lovely home is directly across from the ocean.




They welcomed us with our first night’s dinner on their balcony. 



We had a lovely time reconnecting and watching the beautiful sunset over the Pacific Ocean.


The following morning Barb drove us to Morro Bay where Susan and I got in a little bike ride through town and on a short shoreside trail. But first we would stop for “tea & crumpet’ ;’-) at Barb’s favorite bakery (yummmmm).



Morro Rock is the most prominent item in town, and the beginning of our ride.



Riding along the Oceanside is always nice. 



The next day Barb and Penelope took us on a tour with the destination being to see the Elephant Seals. On the way Harmony, with population of 18, would be our first stop.




Mainly it is an historic town that has a creamery (too early for ice cream) as well as a glass and pottery shop that we had to spend some time in! We also liked walking a bit of history in the town.






A Town for Rent if you so choose.



Old Post office served for weddings too.







Residents have a place to worship as well.



Time to go visit the seals now. 

Once there and stepping our of the car, we learned that the wind was heavy from the north. And we could tell by Missy’s ears.







Susan and I were mesmerized and found it difficult to take our eyes off of them!! I took tons of photos that, at the time, seemed so different from each other. When I downloaded the photos I saw that they were not so different after all, and chose just a few to post. 

As far as the eye can see, the beach is lined with the seals that come in every fall, October and November, to have and nurture their babies and do not return to the ocean during the entire time. They stay until early spring - around March - when they return to the sea, get nourished for the following fall and birthing time. 


There are groups or families that stay together with the male guarding and protecting HIS flock.


AGGRESSIVELY guarding his territory.



Mama seal can nurture only one baby as that is all the milk outlet (teat) she has. If she births more than one, the others will die.



This was an educational and fascinating trip for us and we had a hard time leaving the beach and the seals.

We relaxed with dinner together and breakfast the following morning before we had to say our sweet goodbyes. We all agreed that there will be a “next time” when we will get together. For now we thank our friends Barb, Penelope and Missy for this grand stay with them.



We as usual were happy to be home, but not so happy about transitioning back to our weather. Our first morning home brought this.





5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip. I am very familiar with Morro Bay and Rock. We met a family in a campground from there and visited them the next year after Jim flew home. They lived up on the high hill over looking the bay. It was where my children got there first taste if running when they participated in an organized race along the beach. My daughter had just finished 3rd grade but went on to be on a cross country high school team that won the state twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wish there was a way I could correct my poor English, but can't find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see your comment. Sounds like you are more familiar with Morro Bay than I got to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics and commentary. Of course I enjoyed seeing anything Central Coast Califormia. Thanks for sharing 😘 Penelope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoyed that part!

      Delete