Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Thursday, April 20, 2017

30 Days of April: April 20

 

Susan told me to get out soon as there could be a storm coming in later in the afternoon. I preferred to avoid rain today if I could! Got on my bike and rolled out of our garage for another neighborhood ride.

 

Susan bought this for our yard (for me actually) from the "Bookman" who comes to her school and sells things -- even books.

 

No words needed.

I missed going on the "tulip ride" with my friends last week due to my ear infection. Found my own tulips right here in river city.

 

Having avoided all the hills yesterday I chose to ride up many of them today. They were fairly gradual and it actually felt good to climb a little after my recovery day yesterday. I often ride behind some buildings that have large parking lots -- to add a few miles to my day -- and this one had a heart.

 

Crafty heart outside of what seemed to be a garden/storage shed behind a nearby church.

 

A Firefighter obstacle!

My "sucker hole" (blue sky amongst the clouds) was soon closing in and the clouds were getting darker and coming in thicker and quicker. I made a choice to head for home. As I pulled into the driveway there were huge ploppy raindrops hitting me on the head and bike. Sure 'nuf, the rain came down.

I didn't get a lot of miles today, but I have now completed 20 of my 30 days of April goal ;'-). The goal is not the number of miles, nor the speed at which to ride them. The reason I really really like this "challenge" event.:

 

(30 Days of April philosophy. -- founder Patrick Stephenson)

“A lot of people who participate already bike every day; that’s their primary transportation, and I think it gets them to bike more than they would, just because there’s this excitement around it,” said Stephenson. “Then there’s people who have had their bikes away all winter who are learning how to make the bike a lifestyle form of transportation. I saw one tweet from a guy who said, ‘I didn’t realize how close the supermarket was.’ It’s like it changes your perception of distance between things.

“We’re not anti-car, and that’s an important distinction. That’s too divisive, and I find that attitude kind of regressive and doesn’t help the cause of biking. We’re not ‘30 days of biking without your car,’ we just want you to get on your bike once a day, even if it’s just riding it around the block. If you need to use your car as a tool, do it, but the biking is paramount during this month.”

 

2 comments:

  1. I like the bike in your yard. Nice present from Susan.
    Love the Tulips display as well.
    I will try the 30 days of biking idea. It will just have to be around the block though. My back and neck are not able to handle much more than that at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to see that you will give a try to being as active as you can for the 30 days. Way to go Meta!!!

    ReplyDelete