Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

SOLDIERING ON INTO JULY 2020

Now that we are all out of the Denial Phase of thinking (or at least hoping) that this Pandemic is temporary, we must get on with life. We grieve for life as we once knew it, and try hard to come to terms with life as it is now, and may be for the long term. I know we all share the same disappointments, sadness and longings for that old life, and we so miss seeing and sharing face to face time with our friends and loved ones. And hugs.

Since early March, I have had a total of three field trips from home. Well, I am not counting my daily bike rides or RV outings with Susan, but outings where there is some contact with others. My most recent field trip was yesterday to the dentist where I found them taking so many precautions to protect us, and themselves from the virus. Wait outside (in your car if you drove, on the bench if, like me you walked); text them that you are there and wait to be called in; hand sanitizer at the entry; temperature taken before taking the chair; check off the list of symptoms you are NOT having (all is the goal); dentist is unrecognizable in mask and face shield. I felt as safe as possible there.

A little interlude here with a few photos while on my bike rides this week.

Fourth of July and baseball...



Something we need to continue doing...



A ride through our now closed local airport at Paine Field. Empty parking lot.



My first field trip from home last week was a (masked) visit to the optometrist to have nose pads replaced on my glasses (that took all of about 45 seconds). My second was a stop at a road side produce market. Checking to see that there was only one or two customers, and that all were masked, and that it was a no touch payment with credit card (am I over cautious?), I felt safe to go for the few items on my list and could be in and out quickly. Who knows if I will have another field trip before my follow up dentist in two weeks, but these were good ones (so far).

More bicycling photos for the first week of July.

The lighting was just about right for a photo of this delightful little display I pass by. 


The frame on the left of the building has this interesting display...




This mailbox makes it look like we are in a very rural area — like Mayberry RFD perhaps. We are not, and the mailbox is on a main road with the house way up and away from the box. I am not really sure if it is actually used.



Here is view that none of us who live here tire of... We have had some fairly good weather days, but of course grey sky and rain is frequent enough. 




For this last photo of this post, let explain. I do what is called “Bicycle Ride and Seek” challenge (that I may have mentioned in the past) where a fellow puts out a list of 12 items each month for us to find. We need to take a photo of the item with our bike, or at least part of our bike in the photo. This month’s list includes “White Wall Tire”. Where in the world was I going to find this??? I thought for sure I would have to claim this month as DNF (did not finish) in completion of the challenge. 

As I was riding yesterday, and stopped at a stop sign, I saw an old vehicle waiting to cross the highway and headed in my direction. I waited to see if possibly that vehicle would have While Wall Tires. 

Meet Shawna...



Shawna had come to an almost stop by me to ask if I was ‘just taking a break’, and I said yes but please wait a minute. She pulled over to the side of the road, and when I asked about taking a photo she replied that I had made her day.

There is a little more to the conversation. She asked how old I am and I said in two weeks I will be 79. She said “that’s great, my grandfather (grandfather!) is 79, but he is in a ‘home’. And look at you out here doing this!”, as she pointed to my bike. Somewhat a bittersweet conversation I suppose. But I do feel fortunate to continue with my bike adventures ;’-)

No comments:

Post a Comment