Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Monday, August 2, 2021

80 KILOMETERS FOR MY 80TH YEAR

In the bicycling world, many cyclist bike their age in miles on their birthday or during their birthday month. I started that “tradition” with the Grands when they first learned to ride their bikes. Each year we check with them to remind them or ask them if they rode their years. The oldest is soon to be 12, so it is not a difficult task at this time.

Except for more elite cyclists, once many mortal cyclist reach their 70s, the distance is changed to kilometers for what should be obvious reasons ;’-). I know you can see where this is leading. As I have mentioned in other posts, my birhday is July 16. There were no days near that date availabile to do a birthday ride of 80 km, so I adjusted. I mentioned my wish to ride to a couple of my riding buddies and they were all over it, and with only 1 day out of the month of July we did it.



Cindy, Brenda and Kathy were ready to join me for my epic ride. I say again, I am a lucky gal — I don’t know of many friends who would think ‘oh what fun! Let’s do a 50 mile ride!”. But these friends said just that. 

I chose the flat. with a few gently climbs, Centennial Trail to lead us from Machias Station to the Nakashima Barn. Flat — you know, a good way to bike for 80 kilometers.

On the way we had just a few stops, one to look over the bridge at the low tide.


The low tide…



And a few ‘heart locks’ on the bridge railing.


Nakashima Barn is a place we visit occasionally, but not for the 50 mile ride as we did today. 



There is quite a history to this barn and farmstead, as the information sign says — a darker side of our country’s history.



Looks like a big happy family lived and worked here.



They had a family reunion in 2013.



Having reached our destination, and half way point, it was time to head back. On the way we found a burgeoning blackberry patch. Brenda can always find a berry patch.



We had wisely planned our lunch stop for on the way back and a mere 15 miles from the end of our ride. Nutty’s Junkyard Grill is a place!




The “Junkyard” is filled with memorabilia from days gone by and one must walk around inside and out to see all there is on display.



Lots of license plates from all over.



Before we knew it (well maybe not before we knew it as we were getting tired now) we were at the end of our epic ride. It had been a glorious day with cooler temps and overcast for the first half and getting ‘hot’ for only the ending miles. I am thrilled to not only have completed my 80 kms, but to do it with such good friends.

6 comments:

  1. Wow,so glad you had such a wonderful day!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Suzanne, it was truly a fantastic day. Nice to be able to do that, and doing it with good friends is a bonus.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Meta, it was quite special. I cannot imagine anything that would have made it better. ;’-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos that captured the day. It was great to be able to help you celebrate your birthday with such a special ride and lunch together. What a great group of intrepid ladies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a treasure to have you there for this day Cindy. You raised the celebration to the highest level. Thank you my friend. So glad the other two could join too.

      Delete