Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Saturday, June 4, 2022

THE REMAINDER OF MAY MISCELLANY

Big news for Susan was not only that she was starting to walk more without props (walker, scooter, cane) but she did her first bike ride. I followed behind as support crew, and we rode the one mile block around home. One mile seems almost insignificant but was NOT.




Much of Susan’s activity during her recovery phase(s) has been at the dining room table putting together puzzles ;’-). Sarah had given us a special puzzle for Christmas and Susan completed that one recently.



We think this was very thoughtful and special gift and love how it turned out. 

Of course I did take myself on a few more bike rides, and once for an off season ‘Teaneurring’ outing. I stopped here at Legion Park in Everett and found I had forgotten my tea at home ;’-(. But I had a nice lunch in the sun with a fairly good view.




I had a nice ride and social lunch stop with friends Connie and Carol along the Centennial Trail. It is often such a treat to ride with others, and this was one of those days. The sun came out for much of the day and, being a weekday, there were very few people on the trail. The riding itself felt almost effortless to me, and way before I expected, we were back at our cars. When I related the day to another friend she used the exact correct word when she replied ‘you had found nirvana on your day’.


Not ALL of my outings are on my bike, just the bulk of them. I love meeting my best friend Bill for lunch and a walk. Sometimes I go to his house in North Seattle, sometimes he drives up to Edmonds. This day was an Edmonds day and we had lunch and a walk to gelato ;’-).



With one biking mile under her belt, Susan felt up to the 4.75 mile round trip to get a haircut. A new record to work at beating. We watched each other’s bike while one was inside having the cut.





Then another issue occurred - my bike is broken. Well, the handlebar stem is broken. I will not go into detail but to say that years ago Susan and I got folding stems for our folding Bike Fridays. I have never liked these because they creaked and squeaked a lot and often needed some lube to stop that. I never folded it either, so was sorry I had gotten them as they are bulkier and heavier than the non-folding. Now I am trying to work with Bike Friday (full disclosure, it is Susan who is working with them) to get a replacement for this broken part that is not folding. It is an ordeal and I don’t know if I will have my bike fixed or not. I tried using Susan’s bike, but hers is now in the shop needing gearing attention and fix. So here I am, bikeless.

Oh woe, what to do but wait at this point. As I look out my back door pondering and dithering and worrying and rueing not being able to be out on my bike on such a gorgeous afternoon, this little critter brings just a little smile.






3 comments:

  1. Love that puzzle. Glad Susan is making such good progress. But your bike, oh no! Hope you get a repair soon. Suzanne xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to reply to you not a new reply! See below.

      Delete
  2. We really enjoy that puzzle — so much that we have yet to take it apart! My bike is all better now, but I really am thinking I should look around more for a new bike. Trouble is I have yet to find one available in the US that I like! So for now, I am fine with what I have.

    ReplyDelete