Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

CYCLE DAY #37 AND A NEAR CATASTROPHE


#37 NOVEMBER 25, 2020


It was nice to have a dry morning to wake up to ;’-). I didn’t get out all that early, but there was some sun at 10:00 and I enjoyed a ride to and through what we call the Wendell Wiggle (Wendell was a long time active club member who came up with this route as an alternative to staying on the trail all the way) and then through the airport. I simply rode, no tea stop, no snack stop, just a ride. I was in no hurry and it felt good to ramble about with no real responsibility for the day. 




However I did have one harrowing experience with a truck coming directly at me. It is quite difficult to explain. Let it be known that I did nothing wrong, and was in fact totally stopped waiting for traffic to end before my left turn onto the Bev-Ed Rd. I heard a grinding/skidding noise to my left as I was in the far right of the right lane. I looked to my left and this truck, still with its left turn signal on intending to turn onto the road I was exiting, was screeching on his brakes with smoke coming from the wheels. I felt like I could have reached out and touched the truck, but it must have finally stopped about two feet from me. I looked at the driver, who was wearing his mask, and he just waved at me as if to say “nothing wrong” and drove on. Well he kind of had to back up a little to complete his left turn. 


It was very unnerving and if I had been stopped in the spot where I should have been and usually am, to take my left turn, I would have been hit and badly injured. I was to the far right because there had been a car next to me who would turn left ahead of me and I wanted to give him room to do so. Had HE still been in the lane, he would have gotten hit by that truck and would have been pushed into me. I feel that I have escaped potential death or life threatening injuries.


Though I did feel a bit unnerved by this incident, I did not dwell on it until the end of my ride!!! Thank goodness. So I enjoyed the rest of my ride and was able to get at least a couple more photos for the day. I found a folding knife and a decent bungie along my way. So there’s that.








HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE ;’-)

2 comments:

  1. Those close calls certainly are unnerving! Glad good luck was with you! And cheers for 37 rides!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was harrowing indeed, and I will take all the good luck I can get!! How about me with 37 when I ‘signed up’ for 15! Thanks to you Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete