Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Sunday, November 22, 2020

CYCLE DAYS CHALLENGE #32-35

Rides/photos #32-35

#32 NOVEMBER 11, 202O




With today’s 39 degree ride start we seem to have begun what Cindy calls our Frozen Fun rides ;’-). We have ridden in some light snow in the past, and though no snow today, it felt like it could. 


The shoe tree has been there for years and years, and this is the best time of year to get a good look at the shoes. 








We rode on the Centennial Trail for a big part of the ride today, but added very interesting loops on the way out and back. It is always fun to ride through small neighborhoods off the trail. Winding back behind Machias Station while waiting for the restroom to be empty of users (there was only one), we bimbled through the little hamlet of Machias and I got a church photo. The steeple is interesting to me as it is shingled rather than painted white siding.




Our lunch stop was in Lake Stevens at Biscuit and Bean (bean being coffee beans) where Cindy got her #6 coffeeneuring stop. After biscuits and beans we cycled across the road to visit the quiet and nicely appointed lakeside park. I am tucking the park into my brain list for a future stop and photos then. The rusted ship’s buoy is carved with interesting scenes, and is now an outdoor fireplace. It would be interesting to see lit at night.





On the trail near the end of our ride we spied the eagle which is often in this tree. This is the first time I have gotten a decent photo of it, and of course the eagle was not looking in my direction and smiling. I guess I will have to keep trying 😏.





#33 NOVEMBER 19. 2020




Having not ridden my bike for an entire week I was chomping to get out on the saddle today even if the weather was not the very best. Sometimes just no rain is the best ;’-). I rode up to the bank to make a deposit, and continued on for a ‘bike by’ at Cindy’s. I had something to drop off for her and at least a short visit would feel good. It did. I took the longer route home and through the airport. On the way I passed a local high school that continues to hold some colorful trees in the parking lot.


This Air Force plane midway in production seemed to smile at me. Or else it was healing from some mouth thing.






#34 NOVEMBER 20, 2020




As I sat in my riding gear looking out our front window this morning I was thinking that I may not get up the oom-pah-pah needed to go for ride. It was wet looking, had only recently stopped raining, and cold. Susan came down ready to ride her bike for pick up at Safeway of only a few items she had to order. At first I declined her invitation to ride with her, but as she was getting ready in the garage I changed my mind. I am so glad I did. After we picked up the goods at Safeway she headed directly home and I peeled off for just a few more miles. I think I got something like 13 which is double what I would have gotten if directly home. That is usually how it goes, once I am riding I like to ride a little further. Susan said she knew I would do that. I wasn’t sure that I would but she says she knows me better than I do. 😏


I have finally come to terms with giving up any mileage goals for the remainder of the year into Feb or March. My riding goals are now to get out on as many days as I can for maybe at least an hour, and if I have it in me to ride more time, I will. Miles will not matter and it will be more fun that way. I may actually try to give up any yearly mileage goals if I can adjust to this now ;’-).


Susan hitched up the Travoy and off we went to the pick drive at the store. It is how we “shop” these days: online order and they give a time that it will be ready for pick up. Normally Susan drives for the pick up as the order is too big for the Travoy and her bucket panniers!




#35 NOVEMBER 22, 2020


There was the damp cold of the air as I started riding at 9:30 and I thought maybe this would be the day I would turn around for home very early in the ride. I know well enough to not make that decision before riding a few miles, and as usual once I got going I just kept going ;’-). I did my Every Turn and Loop route in my neighborhood and that brings me to ‘The Stump’. I was not disappointed to find a new display for the upcoming holiday.





The Stump deserves a photo of its own.




As I meandered through the several neighborhoods I found some more lingering fall color. I keep thinking that I am seeing the very last of it, but every ride shows me yet another blast.








2 comments:

  1. I, too, am giving up mileage goals - or at least trying to. If I can get out as often as possible regardless of weather (no ice or snow on the ground though), I will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so much in agreement with you Suzanne. It is hard to not count the miles, and I still use my odometer to measure, but it is becoming less and less of a focus for me. Like you, getting out for any ride is great. I look at Bill’s reports on 365 and see that though he keeps track, his rides are often short with lots of good scenery that he always stops for. That is such a better way to ride my bike as well.

      Delete