Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Sunday, October 4, 2020

BIKE DAY RIDES CHALLENGE PART 2 (#6-9)


RIDES/PHOTOS #6-9


6/15 SEPTEMBER 28, 2020


Our weekly ride together took Cindy and me to Maltby for another taste of the “country”. At least rural ;’-). This week’s forecast for sunny, warm and beautiful weather had proved true for this first day at least. 




We cycled on some very quiet roads and passed more friendly farm animals — especially these horses. 




Again, like the goat the other day, this one looked back and forth from me to Cindy, wondering.






A stop at the Flower World store gave us a taste of autumn color. Some of the gourds look like deep sea creatures. I guess these are grown this way purposely for Halloween! Don’t know how they do THAT.






Choosing a picnic table on the grounds of Flower World reminded me of the time that Susan and I had stopped here for our lunch as well. Then we did have chickens crossing in front of us, around us and back and forth. 




This time no chickens, but we were treated to a parade of geese. All in a line, following the leader through the grounds.





7/15 SEPTEMBER 29, 2020


I hadn’t planned that this would be a ride for my challenge, but as I added more miles to my errands, I thought it would fit just fine as #7 of the challenge.


Adding miles through the mini trail...




...and a little trip through the high school grounds.




About the errands. We collect some things over months that I eventually take to recycling by bike: electronics and cables get recycled at the  “metal’ recycling place that is very near home; old meds get recycled at the Police Station (I didn’t have any of these today); recycling batteries brings a story. In the past I have brought all batteries to the Battery Plus Store and they had taken them all. That has changed. They will take lithium batteries free of charge, but alkaline batteries not so much. They say that the state charges them $1.85 a pound to recycle those. I was not about to pay twice for batteries, so asked for suggestions from him. He said “some libraries, school districts, and some Lowe’s stores”. 


On the way home I was contemplating how I would get to one of those places by bike. My extra miles took me through Paine Field airport where I took my #7 photo of Boeing Lake. It looks more like a lily pond, but is actually named Boeing Lake, and is big enough to be a lake.




Continuing on the route I always ride through the airport, I was passing the Transfer Station (the Dump) when I noticed the sign to the Recycling area. I took a chance and rode into that area and lo and behold! Bins for everything — fluorescent light bulbs, household batteries, car batteries, automotive oil, to name a few. There, I was able to dump my old batteries for recycling.


I was/am so pleased to now have convenient recycling centers for just about all our old goods. No land fill for us! Some are excited about beating a speed record; some about reaching a monumental number of miles; me — about finding a recycling place to bike to with recyclables. What can I say ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿšด‍♀️๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Š.



8/15 OCTOBER 2, 2020


I call this my “figure 8” route because it looks like this. 




Not exactly a figure 8, and not a very long ride. The perfect number of miles for me on some days when I don’t have the oom pah pah for more ;’-). Like today.


Going in for a look at the community garden is always a nice destination on this route.




And though I would normally take another loop off the highway on the way home, I kept going to see if I could find what might pass as a ‘haunted’ or ‘creepy’ house. This would check off one of the items on my (different) challenge list for this month. 



It must be haunted or creepy because where else would you find a black leaf other than in this front yard.




As I neared home, I added the miles that make the route somewhat a figure 8, and included a ride across, through our ‘covered bridge’ at the high school.




9/15 OCTOBER 4, 2020


Our earlier weather forecast for several beautiful sunny days deteriorated a little for these past four days. Heavy fog greets us every morning and it takes until late morning or early afternoon to burn off. That makes my ride starts a bit later than I like, but at least, except for the soupy fog yesterday, I have been riding! The other favorable thing is that smoke from fires in Oregon is ‘trapped’ in the upper atmosphere so we are not getting blanketed again with that!


With the Storm and Seahawks games scheduled for this morning, I had to wait until early afternoon for a ride. I chose to take the route from home along familiar roads that leads me through only a part of Paine Field Airport. (The Seahawks won their game; The Storm won the second game of this final round for the championship. They need to win 3 of 5 to cinch the championship title for 2020).


Today was kind of a ‘red’ day...





As I neared home this guy at first started to scamper away from me to the other side of the road. When I call to him/her, s/he came back toward me and plopped down for a photo.




I think this makes for a long enough post, so will do that and continue with my next grouping as I complete more of the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment