Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Thursday, September 26, 2019

A RIDE IN QUEBEC

We stayed in the Province today until the last few miles where we crossed the border on our bike to enter Vermont for a brief moment or two before re-entering Quebec. 

From what I understand, Marg Endicott rode these tours many times with Road Scholar, and is now deceased. This ride is a memorial to her and her husband.



Before riding we stopped for a walk around the village of Brome, one of several villages in the area that serve for the setting of many, or all, of Louise Penny’s books.



Needless to say, the Brome Book Store carries all of the local author’s books. And this guy is the greeter at the door.



The village is small with but a few shops, some of which are not open this early in the morning, including the bike shop. And that one does not open until October 5th ;’-(. Walking around it brought me these relics.



At the risk of being redundant (and boring), I could not help myself but to take a few more photos of them...



The head badges are for my friend Suzanne.






A few more shots around town









Having walked through the entire village and returning to the van early, our leader Shawn, told me of a short walk along a path that I might enjoy. I did.



After an hour of browsing around Brome and, for some, scouring the book shop, we were ready to ride. Of course by the time we got on the saddle, we had some rain ;’-). It was a soft and easy rain and fortunately for us, did not last long. On this route we got to see some color close up.



We were actually riding on part of La Route Verte, which is a bike route that travels North-South of all of Quebec. There are many routes and spurs off the main route that leads to different cities and towns in the province. 



Riding along I spotted this sign and had to double back because it was such a strange sign that appeared to be maybe saying something like ‘no birthing in the street’! 




When we got home I took the photo to our French speaking staff and gave them my translation from my High School French classes. Surprisingly my translation was very close as Joy explained that it is quite the controversial sign in Canada that the government has put up everywhere. Some have asked it there are pedophiles in the area that need warnings!! Basically the sign is telling motorists what we in the US say by “slow down, Children crossing”. Briefly, this one says to pay attention because the child you hit may be one of your own. This could be the strangest sign I have ever come across.

We made our usual stop for lunch somewhere (I lose track of town names) and this time were serenaded with banjo music.



Our crossing the border on our bikes was a time for celebratory photo taking for those of us who took the longer route.





From left, CherylAnn, Paige, Mary, our leader Jean (say it in French), Walt, Betty



Betty took a couple of photos of me today — one on my bike, my happy place...



...and one on the border bridge into Quebec.



As we approached home we had to stop for the “Oreo cows”. Actual name, Belted Galloways.



And one more glance at some colorful background.




No comments:

Post a Comment