Nancy Cycles!

Nancy Cycles!
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." ... Yogi Berra

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

A RIDE TO THE ABBEY - SHELDON VERMONT

RAIN! And a lot of it. We woke up to rain, but we had done that the day before as well and it cleared in such a short time. Not so much today. Clearing in a short time that is. Once everyone was on their bike it poured. We were a soggy mess by the time we got to the bike shop in Montgomery, just a few miles from the ride start, and it continued to soak us as we started to ride again. Joy leaned our the van window to tell us that we would be able to put all our wet clothes in her dryer! As I remounted my bike,. I immediately was thinking that this was not fun and I was not only unable to see out of my rain doused glasses, but was NOT having a good time!!! Whether it was that I was being ‘tough’ or stubbornly optimistic that the rain would stop, is anyone’s guess. But I kept on. After what seemed like an immense amount of time, it DID stop raining! Ahhhhh. 

Our destination was ‘The Abbey’. Start at the right side of the map and journey along to Sheldon on the left. There were to ge three choices of rides today. The most direct route of 23 miles, the first (yellow) loop for 29 miles, adding both yellow loops for 40 miles. Adding the loops would add some hills to the flat direct route. Your choice he said ;’-)



Linda and Kathy looked a bit drenched and unhappy (weren't we all!) at our first stop at the bike shop.







Shortly after getting back on our bikes, in the now heavy rain, I passed Brenda who had stopped to put on her rain jacket. Brenda usually rides faster than I, so I assumed she would catch up quite quickly. That was the last I saw of any of the three until the end of our day.

Our ride map told us that this area is the covered bridge capital of America. I was at first disappointed that I had  missed the one in Montgomery, until I learned later that it was a short bridge decororated with flowers and signs as a tourist attraction. I much prefer the old and real thing. David and I stopped at this one.




Seldom am I able to pass by an old house and wonder about its history.





I opted to ride both longer (hilly) routes and was afforded several delightful views. 





Though we are here a a great time for fall color, the rain and clouds keep the leaf peeping at a more subtle and subdued level. Though still beautiful, photos do not show the colors at all well. We will wait for some sun!

But here are a few close up trees and other random sightings that show why Vermonters enjoy the fall.








Embracing Fall...



After the first loop we met for our sack lunch at Enosburg Falls.




Here is when I learned that several riders had chosen to skip the rain and be driven back to the lodge. I was not doubtful that Linda and Kathy were among that group as they were miserable in the rain! But I had yet to see Brenda and told our leader that she was not here and I doubted she went back in the van. He said he would look for her, and we riders started out again.

There were six of us who had chosen to do both hilly loops for a longer riding day.

From left: Me, Paige & Walt, Moe, Jerry, Mary. We are at the top of some hill here — but not the last one!!!


Walt took a photo to allow our leader, Jean (say it in French) to join us.



On the way down one of the final hills, we stop for a view, a sip of water, and to wait for our leader.





On to the Abbey. Most of the day I had been thinking about our visit to an Abbey — monks and all.

I made it there in spite of the hills...



Where are the monks/ Huh?

It’s a bar...



They give free chocolate milk here so of course I imbibed. And this is where I finally found Brenda! She had missed the lunch stop, her cue sheet was destroyed by the rain, and she was on her own. True to form, she was resourceful and used her phone to show her the way to the Abbey. She arrived, rode around the parking lot a few times wondering where everyone was. Finally, a bit damp, a little chilled, and having missed lunch, hungry, she went in for some chocolate milk, a hot chocolate and a bowl of soup. She was the first to finish the ride and it was at least half an hour before anyone else arrived to join her  ;’-)

Once back at the lodge I learned that I was correct in my assumption of Linda and Kathy having had enough of the rain. They enjoyed a warm shower before socializing with the few others who returned as well. Linda then enjoyed reading her book, and Kathy enjoyed a bridge game with others. ALL had a fantastic day today.

1 comment:

  1. You and Brenda are two tough cookies...sounds like you were rewarded with amazing views, fall colors and chocolate milk! Good job you guys! No monks though, what a shame. 😉

    ReplyDelete